Tuesday 27 October 2015

Custom Stamp & Die Pockets

Wow its been two weeks since my last post, it doesn't feel that long... Time really does fly.

So I've been mainly working at my regular non-crafty day job, some jewellery, I had a few deliveries over the past few weeks for my craft stash, I'm still waiting on some as well :) and I have been organising my craft room a bit so I can fit in some larger pieces of equipment, one is a laser printer which I may team up with a foil applicator (still debating this). I have also made a few cards for some friends - one sadly (for me, but yay for her) is a new job card which I will post about soon.

So today I bring the We R Memory Keepers Photo Sleeve Fuse Tool and custom stamp and die pockets.






I like to keep original packaging where possible and I have some large WPLUS9 stamp sets that do not fit the Avery Elle stamp and die storage pockets. So when the We R Memory Keepers Photo Sleeve Fuse Tool arrived I knew I would need to practice before using it on any bigger projects that need more accuracy. This seemed to be a good time to practice and change the plastic packaging they came in to my own custom storage pockets.

When I was looking for some punch pockets I could use when I saw some Tiger A3 90 micron clear punch pockets at The Range, I think they were around £1.99 for a pack of 10. What I like about them is the plastic is thick, clear (not frosted like some punch pockets) and looked very similar to the AE pockets.

I warmed up the fuse tool for about 10-15 minutes and prepared my supplies so I would be ready to start.



I used the card insert from the original packing as a guide and used a 12inch stainless steel non slip ruler so I wouldn't need to move the ruler half way through (the tool comes with a ruler but the centre guide is 6.5 inches and the card inserts measure 8.5 inches in length).

It was a bit of trial and error, I had problems such as the join not binding - which I believe was because I was working on a glass work surface so added the card underneath which helped. Some have reported it will melt a cutting mat which is why I didn't try.

Also not knowing how fast to go, the pressure to use or the angle, it also depends on how long the tool has been on and the thickness of the material, I did in some cases melt the plastic causing small holes and little peaks to appear in a few places. No matter how many videos or blogs you watch or read you just wont know what will be the right amount until you try.






After sealing the sides and cutting across the pocket leaving a lip of about 1cm above the card insert, I used the WRMK thumb notch punch to make it a little easier to get in to the pocket and labelled the stamp sets with my Brother label maker, to match my other pockets.




I got two pockets for the large WPLUS9 stamp sets from an A3 punch pocket - works out to be roughly 10p per pocket of that size and the scraps I can use on other projects, I will still buy the AE pockets because all my other stamps and dies are in those and they are not that expensive, but for the larger ones I can make custom pockets.

The tool version I have doesn't have the rubber grip or the collar that hooks against the little stand that is supplied its just a plastic handle, which is not uncomfortable but does get warm.

I don't like the stand that is supplied probably because how my desk is set up I couldn't get it to stay in one place, the stand just slips away as there is nothing gripping underneath and the fuse tool kept falling off, a little dangerous when its on and hot. I saw another crafter use a glass jar which I find a much better solution than the stand (sorry I can't remember where I saw this - if I do I will link to the page).


WRMK's are releasing more accessories for the fuse tool including the below tips which are a pack of 4 I really like the the two new tips to add pattern.

Great little tool, can use it to create shakers of all different types, personalising memory book pages and of course custom stamp and die pockets, can't wait to try it out on some other projects.



Craft haul some new and some used... Quiet a bit of Lawn Fawn and sequins, the one I cant wait to use is the Waffle Flower circle doily die...



Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again soon...

No comments :

Leave a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...